Sunday, February 5, 2012

Super Bowl Fluffy Meatloaf Cupcakes



My sister usually does the MEAT recipes on our site and I usually do the ones packed with grains as well as veggies and a little meat, but I was so intrigued by all the paleo meat cupcakes I've been seeing. Then I spotted Meat Ball Pancakes in my vintage Betty Crocker cookbook and thought I'd have to try them as cupcakes! Plus I know my daughters will eat them! My oldest even took a picture of hers last night and Facebooked it to her friends, lol. 

My husband on the other hand likes to limit how much red meat we eat, but I think these paired with the sweet and sour brussel sprouts  I also made is a great meal and the cupcake is already made into a limited portion for the meat, so you know you are not eating too much. The potatoes on top are really basic boiled mashed potatoes but would be even better for you and cuter with sweet potato mashed poatoes.  

So here is the Betty Crocker pancake recipe that I altered into cupcakes. Let me know if you try the pancakes!!! I posted the recipe I did for the cupcakes below. Mine is very similar to the pancakes, but I added loads of finely diced veggies into ours. 

Fluffy Meatloaf Cupcakes

Nicole Caulfield
Fluffy meat cupcakes with veggies inside!

Ingredients

  • 1 egg yolks, lightly beaten (you can use less if you like)
  • 1 pound ground meat (of your choice)
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash pepper
  • garlic powder (I just dumped some in)
  • 1 cup diced veggies (carrots, yellow peppers, green peppers, green onions)
  • 3-4 egg whites stiffly beaten

Instructions

  1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl, except the egg whites.
  2. In a separate bowl whip your egg whites until stiff.
  3. Gently fold in the egg whites until you get a sort of batter.
  4. Pour the mixture into foil cupcake liners in a muffin pan about 3/4 full. Throw away the paper inserts.
  5. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the tops brown. If they seem finished but the tops aren't brown, throw them under the broiler for a minute or two.
  6. Top with Mashed potatoes, and garnish with sliced green onions!



Curious how these will fit into Mealpods for the week? We ate some for dinner last night. We packaged some sans potatoes in our Mealpod foil packs for the freezer. I left some out in the fridge for dinner later in the week or to use in the bento lunch boxes. You can also see the brussel sprouts I made that were so good. I may post that recipe as well because I altered the one I linked to (no quinoa, used dried cranberries). I put the leftover brussel sprouts in the fridge last night and already had some cold with a cold cupcake from the fridge and it was so good. I think the brussel sprouts were in some ways better cold, so those will end up in my and my husband's bento boxes on Monday (if I don't eat them all first). The freezer cupcakes will be taken out at dinnertime over the next few weeks and paired with some extra veggies. I like a plate with half veggies, and half other stuff. 


NUTRITION: 12 PODS (SERVINGS) 96 CALORIES, 4G FAT, 180G SODIUM, 1G CARB, .5G FIBER, 12G PROTEIN from Livestrong.com

No comments:

Post a Comment